Re: [DNS] Is auDA auctioning non-transferable or transferable domain name licences?

From: Paul Foxworthy <paul§cohsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:37:38 +1100
At 09:41 AM 25/01/2002 +1100, Ian Johnston wrote:

>The question of whether domain name licences are transferable or
>non-transferable is an important one, particularly for those bidding at
>auction.
>
>Under the current scheme a licence to use a com.au domain name cannot be
>transferred or sold to another party.   Licence terms and conditions state
>that the domain name may not be sold, lent or used by any party other than
>the licensee, and the domain name may not be transferred from the licensee
>to another party.

If you've registered a business or company name corresponding to the domain
name, you
just sell the business, not the domain name. When the only asset of the
business
is the domain name, that's not difficult. Doing it this way has the virtue that
the connection between the business name and the domain name remains the same.

Anyway, at least in July 2000, Melbourne IT had a "Termination and Reapply"
form they issued which asked them to deregister the name and re-register it to
somebody else. In theory there's a period in between when somebody else could
ask for it; in practice that period is short so it's a de facto transfer.

I don't know if the "Termination and Reapply" form is still in use or not.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, databases, software, animation
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/