Media Release - Generic Names

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:05:03 +1100
auDA - GENERIC DOMAIN NAMES AUCTION -

9,900 applications received

Melbourne, 5 February 2002:

Applications for names on the generic name list closed on 31 January
2002. auDA has received 9,900 applications for 2,210 of the 3,000 names
on the list.

The most popular name is 'computers.com.au' with 76 applications and the
top 10 names applied for are;

1.	computers.com.au
2.	design.com.au
3.	computer.com.au
4.	software.com.au
5.	finance.com.au
6.	health.com.au
7.	web.com.au
8.	marketing.com.au
9.	internet.com.au
10.	security.com.au

"We are delighted with the response" said auDA CEO, Chris Disspain.
"Given the number of applications, it will take some time for the
process to be completed and we will be contacting applicants on a name
by name basis over the next 2 months or so.

"Applications are being assessed as soon as possible and we are asking
applicants not to telephone or email auDA requesting an update on the
timing or the status of their application."

At the end of the auction process, auDA will publish a list of those
names for which no eligible applications have been received. These names
will be available on a first come first served basis when the new names
policy is introduced.

-ENDS-

For media contact:

Chris Disspain

Chief Executive Officer

auDA

tel: 03 9349 4711

email:  <mailto:ceo&#167;auda.org.au> ceo&#167;auda.org.au