Re: [DNS] Comments on ICANN

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:46:59 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Kim Davies wrote:

 > This email is quite insightful. It makes the final point that ICANN
 > should be there to serve rather than rule the Internet.

Indeed, though you'd be hard put finding a government who (honestly)
shares that view, even if it feels safe in allowing its expression.

 > It is interesting to read the "todo" list for ICANN and compare it
 > to the way auDA is run. I think auDA comes up very well and is quite
 > aligned with Randy's suggestions.

 > http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200202/msg00242.html

To quote just one part of the Insightful Curmudgeon's post, substituting
AuDA for ICANN at its level, if you will:

: o icann only needs to
:   - coordinate allocation of address space to the RIRs
:   - maintain the root zone file
:   - slowly try to get MsOU with the folk icann actually serves
:
:   one computer scientist used to do this as a part time job.  how much
:   of a mountain can we make of a molehill?

Cheers, Ian