RE: [DNS] DNS List

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:43:54 +1100

provided/(moderated?)
|> discussion list should be open to auDA members only.  As I stated
initially
|> I see no reason why members of the public shouldnt be able to read
postings
|> on a website without actually being able to post themselves(I'm
thinking
|> along the lines of the ICANN Registrars Constituency here).This
creates
|> an additional incentive for people interested in DNS issues in .au to
join
|> the organisation.  That is a goal that is of potential benefit to
all.

The problem with this is the time lag between applying for AuDA
membership and the acceptance of the membership application.  It also
only allows for one way viewing and no interaction between those who may
apply for membership and the actual membership.  This list already
exists and it would be a simple matter to create another one strictly
for members only leaving this one as a more publically available list.

|> An additional benefit of having a members-only list is that it would
eliminate
|> the practice of using pseudonyms to throw mud as the identity of each
member
|> would have already been independently verified.  Removing people that
participate
|> in these antics from the list is hardly beneficial as they can simply
resubscribe
|> using a different anonymous email address (does anyone doubt that
those
|> thrown off the list recently have not reappeared using different
address?)
|>  Presumably this would also assist in alleviated the legal concerns
that
|> Chris has expressed as postings could at least be easily tracked to
an individual.

My own feeling on anonymous posters is to look at the content of the
post and decide from there.  The fact it is an anonymous post means I
may not attach as much validity to any claims made in the post unless
the claims can be substantiated.  The noise I just ignore.

|> Much noise is generated on this list by people who feel passionately
about
|> these issues but are strangely absent when meetings are held or other
constuctive
|> input is requested/needed.  Giving an incentive to join up and
participate
|> rather than simply sniping from the grassy knoll is in my opinion a
positive
|> and practical solution to the (by no means unique) issues currently
evident
|> with this list.

There will always be those who prefer to be on the sidelines.  Even
though the AuDA membership fee is not too high, a lot of individuals
will not participate except through a free list as they either don't
have any direct involvement with the industry or don't feel strongly
enough about the issues.  I know I am not directly involved with the .au
name space and my own interests are more general DNS, the main reason I
have started participating in .au is the fact I live here and have a
natural interest in my country.

|> Those that choose not to join auDA for whatever reason can have their
own,
|> independent and unregulated discussion list/site wherever  they so
choose
|> - the 'coming soon' site at audawatch.org strikes me as an ideal
site.
|> Michael Froomkin's icannwatch.org is certainly an excellent example
to follow...

There are other discussion lists such as isp-australia etc, there are a
lot of DNS related mailing lists.  I feel maintaining a public list is
in the best interests of AuDA as it may encourage others to join or at
least generate more interest in the local name space.  By all means have
a members only list with publically available archives etc but I would
also suggest the best interests of the .au name space is to also
maintain this list, open to everyone.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.