RE: [DNS] DNS List

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:47:27 +0000
Dassa

Agree, however I think it appropriate that any auDA provided/(moderated?)
discussion list should be open to auDA members only.  As I stated initially
I see no reason why members of the public shouldnt be able to read postings
on a website without actually being able to post themselves (I'm thinking
along the lines of the ICANN Registrars Constituency here).  This creates
an additional incentive for people interested in DNS issues in .au to join
the organisation.  That is a goal that is of potential benefit to all.

An additional benefit of having a members-only list is that it would eliminate
the practice of using pseudonyms to throw mud as the identity of each member
would have already been independently verified.  Removing people that participate
in these antics from the list is hardly beneficial as they can simply resubscribe
using a different anonymous email address (does anyone doubt that those
thrown off the list recently have not reappeared using different address?)
 Presumably this would also assist in alleviated the legal concerns that
Chris has expressed as postings could at least be easily tracked to an individual.

Much noise is generated on this list by people who feel passionately about
these issues but are strangely absent when meetings are held or other constuctive
input is requested/needed.  Giving an incentive to join up and participate
rather than simply sniping from the grassy knoll is in my opinion a positive
and practical solution to the (by no means unique) issues currently evident
with this list.

Those that choose not to join auDA for whatever reason can have their own,
independent and unregulated discussion list/site wherever they so choose
- the 'coming soon' site at audawatch.org strikes me as an ideal site.
Michael Froomkin's icannwatch.org is certainly an excellent example to follow...

regards
jon