RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:52:36 +1000
Hello Rod,

> You have totally lost me Bruce Your suggesting 1 month
> registrations?  Is
> that right?

Yes.  I am suggesting a MINIMUM of 1 month.  This allows registrars (and
resellers) to have some flexibility in the terms they can offer.  I can live
with a MAXIMUM period of 2 years.

Many internet services are purchased (or billed) on a monthly basis.

I am aiming to give the consumer more choice.  I would then leave it up to
the market to decide what term works best.

At the gtld level, the short registration periods are quite popular with
people that want to secure a name, but haven't decided what to do with it.
Long registration periods are popular with people that have an established
website with a long term business model, and want to minimize the risk that
the name is deleted for non-payment.

Regards,
Bruce