Registry charges

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:01:11 +1000
 There is not a
> registry cost in changing a registrar tag, but the current
> policy implies
> that there will be, this is where I feel the policy fall
> down... it forces
> each record to be new.. regardless of wheather it really is or not.

The marginal registry cost for any transaction is the same.  create, update,
renew, transfer.  The registry is fully automated.

The registry needs to receive enough revenue in aggregate to operate.  A
registry could quite legitimately charge the same amount for all such
transactions.

There is no forcing a new record.  A renew and transfer are both updates of
an existing record.

Regards,
Bruce