RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:31:33 +1000

<snip>
|> Its still not clear to me why the registrant of a domain name should
lose
|> time on their licence just because they wish to change registrars?
Surely
|> the registrant should be free to transfer their domain to a new
registrar
|> without significant penalty and without having to demonstrate to auDA
that
|> their registrar has failed to meet their stated service levels?
<snip>

I too fail to see why a registrant should loose any time.  From what I
have seen with other Registrars is for the registrant to continue with
existing time and another time period being added to it.  So if a
registrant has 6 months left and they transfer to another Registrar,
they would normally have 18 months at a minimum as time remaining for
their domain after the transfer.  The majority allow varied renewal
times from 1 year to 10 associated with a transfer.

Personally I believe any domain registrations should be treated separate
to other bundled services.  If there is a hosting contract or other
services associated with the domain registration it should not have any
bearing on a domain transfer and will, if necessary, involve the
originating Registrar needing to recoup any fees owing with such
additional services etc.

The pricing structure of the original registration should cover the cost
of providing the service.  If they transfer, there is no loss really to
the original Registrar on the domain registration.  The losses usually
come in on additional services.  The business model must be designed to
handle such situations.

I do not believe AuDA should develop policies that take into account any
additional services outside of the actual domain registrations.

The transferred to Registrar will get their share from the obligatory
renewal of the domain on transfer.

I really can't see why the issue has to be too complicated.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.