Re: [DNS] Where to find?

From: Neale Banks <neale§lowendale.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:45:16 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 17 May 2002, David Keegel wrote:

[...]
> I also wish people who had facts/evidence about this problem had
> come forward and given it to auDA a lot earlier than they did,
> so that auDA could have been able to take action earlier.
>
> If there is a problem with something auDA does, then I wish in
> the first instance people would report all the details to auDA
> (eg info&#167;auda.org.au or by calling the auDA office).  Especially
> in a case like that.
>
> People can have a general moan publically about there being a
> problem without saying anything about what the problem is.
> That may make them feel better, but it doesn't do anything to
> help resolve the problem.
>
> If you want to be part of the solution, then first tell auDA what
> the problem is with enough details that auDA can verify that there
> really is a problem.  Maybe even suggest a possible solution.

Hear, hear!!!!

The issues here are basically the same as disclosure on the likes of
Bugtraq - accepted practice there is to *first* notify the vendor/whatever
and give them a chance to patch up the problem - only *then* disclose
publically (after a "reasonable" time, regardless of if the problem has
been dealt with).

The other side of the virtual coin is that should auDA be privately
notified of a hole then, after fixing it, it's appropriate to publically
thank those who provided the initial notification *and* the courtesy of
time-to-fix.

> That is, unless all you really want is to whinge/moan/carp/bitch.

At times, one wonders about some peoples motives :-(

OTOH, I'm not averse to the self-appointed jesters occasionally
contributing a short-and-sweet *witty* swipe at something that's "fair
game" - sometimes it's a good way to make a point.

Yes, IMHO there were a couple of witty contributions from the jesters
recently - unfortunately there was also too many not-so-witty
contributions that drowned these out.

Can we now collectively get back to trying to fix things?

Regards,
Neale.