RE: [DNS] Auction Details "internet.com.au"

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:36:49 +1000
Patrick Corliss wrote Wednesday, June 26, 2002 12:01 AM
> Hi Phil
> > On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 6:22 PM, Phil Wright wrote
> > Why is the process being changed ??  Effectively having a
> > rolling finish to the auction could allow the  process
> > to go on and on and on and on and on - this could
> > take forever?
>
> No change.  They've all been like that, as far as I know.
> There is no incentive for participants to deliberately drag
> the auction out.  Responses are quick and the bidding
> should close at, or soon after, the scheduled closing time.

Patrick

This was not my experience (and I suspect the experience of others).

After several hours of bidding, and close watching and active bidding
towards the official closing time - which moved by many 10 minute
intervals - there is the potential for long drawn out bidding process.

Tactically, aggressive bidding can eliminate competitors and shorten
the auction time.  However, that may prove expensive.

Tactically, drawing out the bidding process by making $10 bids in the
last 10 minutes may have tactical advantage - by wear down the
competitor(s).  However, even for the most patient of bidders, last
minute bids may be frustrating.  Bidders tend to test there
competitors by (more) aggressive and persistent bidding.

> The 10 minutes period of grace is just to make sure
> otherwise one party could put in a bid a few seconds
> before closing time and the other person wouldn't
> have time to respond.

Precisely.  10 minutes may seem to be a long time - potentially up to
19.9999.. minutes between bids.

> > Are there any realistic expectations as to how long this
> > process will take to complete?

No.  How long is a piece of string?  In theory, it may take many hours
given that bids may be in (minimum) $10 increments.  A bid in the last
10 minutes adds another 10 minutes to the closing time.  A great
feature!

> > My clients are
> > getting restless and disgruntled with no contact from
> > auDA since January

This is a real marketing problem for which there are many possible
solutions.

One (simple?) solution may have been to email applicants regularly and
tell them were the auction was at "D", "I" or "M" ...  Putting the
occasional explanation on the auDA website is not sufficient.

Good luck in your aspirations to win "internet.com.au".  I hope you or
your competitors make a substantial contribtion to auDA's coffers!
;-).

Ian Johnston