Re: [DNS] Auction Details "internet.com.au"

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:01:20 +1000
Hi Phil

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 6:22 PM, Phil Wright wrote:

> Why is the process being changed ??  Effectively having a rolling finish to
> the auction could allow the process to go on and on and on and on and on -
> this could take forever?

No change.  They've all been like that, as far as I know.  There is no
incentive for participants to deliberately drag the auction out.  Responses
are quick and the bidding should close at, or soon after, the scheduled
closing time.

The 10 minutes period of grace is just to make sure otherwise one party could
put in a bid a few seconds before closing time and the other person wouldn't
have time to respond.

> How many auctions are they running simultaneously?

I am not privy to that information but there must be several otherwise the
auction of 2,000 domain names would take 2,000 days.  That's about 6 years !!

> Are they only up to the middle of the letter "I" ??  This process is going
> to take forever!!!!!!!!!*&$%
> This is quoted from the auDA website at
> http://www.auda.org.au/about/news/2002052702.html
> "...We expect to conclude the entire process by the end of June 2002. "

It's better to do it carefully, imo.

> This is after the original claim on Feb 5 this year
> (http://www.auda.org.au/about/news/2002020502.html) that  : "...and we will
> be contacting applicants on a name by name basis over the next 2 months or
> so."
>
> Patrick how much lead time did you have from getting the notification to the
> time of the auction opening?
> Can I assume that it was less than a week based upon the email below?

Yes, less than a week.

> Are there any realistic expectations as to how long this process will take
> to complete?  My clients are getting restless and disgruntled with no
> contact from auDA since January

The information I have provided is as an auction participant and not as a
Board member.  For an official response you should ask Chris Disspain at
<ceo&#167;auda.org.au>

> Phil Wright

Regards
Patrick Corliss
I'm on the Board of auDA (the .au country code).  Anything I write is my
personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of any body
with which I am associated.  Please also note IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).