Re: [DNS] MelbIT and INP love loss?

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:38:04 +1000 (EST)
] on 7/9/02 10:13 PM, Mark Hughes at effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
] wrote:
]
] > 3. If I was a Reseller, the agreement / contract that I got the User to
] > click on / agree to when I got their business would be worded in such a way
] > that I as Reseller had the authority to choose the Registrar.  There are
] > probably a few similar issues to do with the authority of Resellers acting
] > for Registrants that only some months of time and experience using the new
] > system & Registry/Reseller/Registrant heirarchy will resolve in detail.
]
] According to the Registrar Agreement
]
] 15.6 Reseller to Identify Relationship
] The Registrar procures that the Reseller will identify its relationship with
] the Registrar for which it is a reseller:
]
]
] Does this not mean that a Reseller must state who it is a Reseller for. I
] would assume that if a reseller had agreements with multiple Registrars they
] would be obliged to state these facts.

I would have thought a Reseller can be a reseller for multiple registrars,
but would only be obliged to tell each registrant about the registrar who
was used to register/renew that particular domain.

Given business realities, I expect that Resellers will change preferred
Registrars from time to time, but will almost certainly need to maintain
access to the old Registrar's system for about 2 years while the customers
gradually move over to the new preferred Registrar as they renew.

I expect there will also be Resellers who don't have the concept of a
preferred Registrar, and might just use whichever Registrar is cheapest
this week (out of the 3/4/5 they have relationships with).

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management