Registry key

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:22:47 +1000
Melbourne IT uses registry keys (passwords) for various purposes:
(1) To authenticate transfers between reseller accounts
(2) To authenticate operations by an individual registrant
(http://www.melbourneit.com.au/maintenance/)
  - delegations, redelegations
  - changes to contact details (the online version is still being
implemented for ".au")
  - some renewals

The format of these keys has changed from:
domain.com.au!1234 (as generated by AUNIC at the time of registration before
28 June 2002)
1234 in the Melbourne IT system.

In the Melbourne IT system, an individual registrant is able to perform
operations directly on their domain regardless of which reseller they are
using.

Note other registrars may use completely different systems.

AusRegistry uses a Domain Name Password that is used to:
(1) to authenticate transfers between registrars
(2) to authenticate look ups on domain names that are not yet transferred to
the registrar

The format of these domain name passwords is:
A01234 (to make a six character password with at least one letter and one
number)

A registrar must supply the AusRegistry Domain Name Password to a registrant
on request.
The registrant can then provide this password to a registrar as part of a
transfer request.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin