How to check whether renewal notices are genuine

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:21:44 +1000
Hello Jayne,

There are a range of companies offering domain name registration services in
Australia.

They can be divided into 3 broad categories:
- registrars accredited by auDA (only these companies have direct access to
the registry
(see http://www.ausregistry.com.au/domains/registrars.php)
- authorised resellers of registrars
- companies we no contracts with either auDA or registrars.

Only registrars and authorised resellers are contractually bound to adhere
to a code of practice with respect to renewal notices.

If you want to find out who your current registrar is, do a WHOIS check on
the name
at the new registry: http://www.ausregistry.com.au/domains/search.php

If you want to know if a particular company is an authorised reseller of the
registrar, then contact the relevant registrar identified above.  In the
case of Melbourne IT, we can tell you which authorised reseller last renewed
your domain name.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin