RE: [DNS] Domain registration through Enetica

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:29:30 +1000
> WebCentral ???

WebCentral is a Melbourne IT reseller.  If they're hosting your domain name
(and they host a lot!) they renew your domain name for you  and invoice you
as part of their normal invoice process for hosting your domain name.

This raises a whole series of complicated questions about a Reseller's
obligations (or the obligations of a hosting service that isn't a reseller,
but manages domain names for Registrants) at time of domain name renewal.
Should they advise the Registrant that the domain name could be renewed a
helluva lot cheaper via someone like Namescout?

My favourite is Connect.com, who at the end of June sent a letter to all
net.au domain name holders that included the following:

"To assist our .net.au customers during this transition period, Connect is
please to announce we have reached an agreement with Melbourne IT, a trusted
domain name registrar.  Melbourne IT has been chosen due to their wealth of
experience managing .com.au, plus their high quality and secure domain name
systems.  Connect will become a reseller of Melbourne IT for net.au names,
and other domains already offered by Connect.  We strongly recommend that
you choose Melbourne IT as your registrar."

Now, there's gotta be someone really on the ball at Melbourne IT to have got
Connect to do this - my hat's off to whoever it was conned Connect into
making a decision BEFORE 1 July 2002 on which Registrar to recommend to all
the net.au domain name holders.

A sensible strategy would have been for Connect to hold off until 1 July
2002, see which Registrars were actually operational and WHAT WAS THE BEST
PRICE CONNECT COULD GET FROM EACH AS A RESELLER, and then make the decision.

It appears that a number of Resellers haven't thought thru their strategy
real well.  If Connect, or WebCentral, or any other Reseller renews a domain
name at the old price of $140, and then the Registrant finds out later that
it could have been renewed at $60 thru Namescout, guess who's gonna lose the
business?

Not the Registrar - 'cause the name has just been renewed, and the
Registrant won't want to pay more money to move it to a new Registrar.  But
the Registrant is likely to give the Reseller the flick if they find the
Reseller's price higher than the Registrant can get themselves.

The Registrar has no downside - its all with the Reseller.  If the
Registrant kisses off the Reseller, they're still stuck with the Registrar,
unless the registrant wants to outlay more money for a transfer.

So any Reseller who can spell 'strategy' ought to be going to each
accredited Registrar, negotiating their best wholesale price, and then
passing some or MOST of that reduction on the Registrant, and highlighting
to the Registrant that they've saved them some bucks.

I mean, what on earth is WebCentral going to tell me?  "Oh, hi, we've
invoiced you $140 for renewing your com.au domain name".  Yeah, and what do
you reckon I'm going to say back to them, eh, since I know I can do it thru
Namescout for $60????

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/
author, further information at the above URL.  (339 subscribers.)