RE: [DNS] .com.au DNS updates and changes

From: Lucian Daniel Kafka <luci§conexim.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:01:16 +1000
At 05:02 PM 16/08/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Now we are getting to the real point! Some servers don't bother checking
>till the TTL runs outs. And now the issue is that some DNS have even
>just dropped the domain all together which means it can't be a TTL
>issue.

If the record is dropped, a new query should look it up freshly. Make sure
all the auth NS are in sync - the secondaries have to be hupped too.
Are all your servers answering correctly and up to date?

>If all the Nameservers were setup as the RFC then we would have 1/2 the
>probs we do. Sometime you toss up making the TTL sort just to solve the
>prob but that has issues of it's own.

The TTL is cached as well in the name record, so the effects of changing
the TTL have the same propagation delay.

Kind regards,

Lucian Kafka
www.conexim.com.au