Re: [DNS] domain news

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:31:41 +0100
Chris

FYI - the auDA accredited registrar that is registered in Barbados is actually
physically based in Nepean, Ontario (near Ottawa I think).  Which of course
begs the question - which aspect(s) of Canadian law are they avoiding?

was registered in violation of the com.au allocation policy (the company
name submitted to the registry did not match the ACN) that required the
intervention of auDA before it was rectified.  The whole experience gave
me the distinct impression that the registrar involved did not fully appreciate
the requirements of the .au policies.

This may well have only been an isolated incident, however it did demonstrate
to me how fragile and open to abuse (inadvertant or otherwise) the current
allocation policies are.  I just hope auDA has or plans to have some sort
of ongoing review of registrars processes to ensure that the integrity of
these policies is maintained.

rgds
jon