Re: [DNS] WHOIS lookups

From: Chris Berkeley <magic2147§optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:01:47 +1000
On 29 Aug 2002 at 17:14, David G Thompson wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I am struggling to understand what:
>
> wit;
> ethical sensitivity (i.e. the ability to recognize the ethical or moral
> implications of situations); and
> resources
>
> have to do with data sharing.
>
> Your e-mail rather reminded me of the sort of thing that Paul McDermott
> used to put up on the ABC show Good News Week when they introduced three
> of four disparate items and asked panel members to deduce the story.
>
> More clues please :-)
>
>  From the CA hottub
>
> -DGT

Well on the one hand we are told that there is "transparency" between the operations of
the parent company and the subsidiary but when they share the same officers, premises
etc.. I cannot see how they can be said to be separate. There does not seem on the
information we have to be any way in which they can prevent there being a risk of
information available to one party coming into the hands of the other.

For example one of our clients is in a very competitive industry.. We have had to sign
confidentiality agreements which inter alia require us to try to ensure that there can be
no disclosure of information about their activities by our contractors and suppliers.
Under the new regime it is open to them to take out domain names which reflect their
brands and trademarks. These names of themselves may give clues to other
participants in their industry as to the nature of their upcoming products and marketing
plans. One of our client's major competitors is a client of RegistrarsAsia and/or their
associated companies. You probably can now see the invidious position that we are in. I
can be sure that there is unlikely to be any disclosure by our registrar of the domain
names that our client may register  but I do not see how I can be so confident on the
information that I have about the ultimate supplier of the domain name because the
people who run it are also in some sort of beneficial relationship with our client's
competitor.

cb