Re: [DNS] And The Winner Is!

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:49:55 +0800 (WST)
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Michael-Pappas wrote:

> But it is also a registrar job to obtain and collect all relevant details
> to substantiate the claim, if it's not easily defined at face value,
> (which some, if not most of these geberic registrations seems to be) the
> registrar can and should collect details, on record, that the registrant
> is eligible for the domain name.

Here here. However as this is probably a one off event it
seems likely registrar's have no standard methodolgy in
place to access the veracity of these claims.

For this reason (and I welcome Chris's previous post re they
will be evaluating registrations) I think that adDA are
probably the best qualified to rule on eligibility.

I would suggest that the applicant would have to demonstrate
a clear and unambigous connection to that domain name prior
to Octover 2, 2002.

Also at the moment there is a window of opportunity for
'arbitrage' whereby groups who have these domains
provisionally can now madly scamble around looking to off
load them to someone who is actually qualified to own them.
(and some large fee for service?)

Unless the connection between provisional registrant and
qualified entity existed prior to October 2 (that is they
were acting as their agent) then I believe this is also
grounds for revoking the provisional registration (on the
basis that on October 2 the registrant was not qualified to
obtain that domain).

Its a simple matter for auDA to draw up a suitable statutory
declaration to establish these facts.

regards doug