RE: [DNS] And The Winner Is!

From: Michael-Pappas <auda§michael-pappas.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:14:22 +1000 (EST)
Chris,

> Now, suppose I am an individual involved in the financial services
> industry. There are several ways in which I can secure a number of
> relevant domain names.
>
> Secondly, I could apply for multiple names under the close and
> substantial rule set out above. NOTE that the domain name needs to
> REFER to a product I sell or service I provide. So I might apply for
> analysts.com.au as referring to a service I provide on the basis that
> analysts provide me with investment strategy advice I give to me
> customers.
>
> There is nothing intrinsically wrong with a registrant holding multiple
> domain names. Let's get clear here. The main concern, I think, is that
> domain name speculation will happen. The solution to that is NOT to
> prevent multiple registrations but to ensure that the transfer of
> domain names is allowed only under certain specific circumstances. In
> that respect:

I don't think that anyone is disputing the examples that you give as these
are fairly self explained. If you wanted gaming.com.au or computer.com.au
as a service then it's a little iffy in relation to financial services.
And especially when add more of the same to the list you want to register.
If there are 10+ for one company it should be check before entered and not
taken at face value, in fact the face value of a registrants eligibility
is diminished the more registrations are placed.

It seems to me that common sense with regards to bulk purchases it thrown
out the window for the sake of profits and getting a sale.

Regards,

Michael-Pappas.

 1. There is currently an interim policy covering this (see