registering name servers

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr§canb.auug.org.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:08:54 +1000
Hi,

[Just for something different, a technical question ..]

Does anyone understand why the registries insist on registering name
servers before you can use them to delegate domains to? [Personally this
seems insane to me as it just gives the registries more things to try to
keep track of - and if you name server moves to a new IP adress, you have
to remember to tell the registry (assuming that you can get them to listen
to you ...)]

On top of that why can't I register a name server (that is willing to
host a domain) unless the parent of that name server is registered through
the registrar that the domain I and trying to delegate is registered
through.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr&#167;canb.auug.org.au