Re: [DNS] registering name servers

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:22:17 +0800
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Just for something different, a technical question ..]
>
> Does anyone understand why the registries insist on registering name
> servers before you can use them to delegate domains to? [Personally this
> seems insane to me as it just gives the registries more things to try to
> keep track of - and if you name server moves to a new IP adress, you have
> to remember to tell the registry (assuming that you can get them to listen
> to you ...)]

Well, back before NSI became .. stuff, you could change your nameserver details and
all domains that relied upon it would also magically change.

That was one thing that annoyed me a bit about .au (Please, sir, can you just go
and globally change this nameservers IP? I don't want to have to submit 300 change
requests.)

I guess its a hold-over from that - personally, if it still _worked_ like that
amongst the twised maze of fuckedupness inherent in todays (.tld) registrations,
I'd be all for it.

(Besides, if you change your name servers IP address, you'd HAVE TO remember
to tell the registry, so your last sentence is quite strange.)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"<WeBGrrL> i WAS a lesbian.....but now i love everyone :P"
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>