Re: [DNS] registering name servers

From: Chris Maltby <chris§sw.oz.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:22:23 +1000

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 07:12:20PM +1000, Andrew Pam wrote:
> Read more carefully.  Paragraph 6 onwards:
> "There can be trouble even when there are no loops."

Quite. Andrew (and djb) have identified potentially serious issues
with glueless delegations. But we've moved somewhat from the
original whinge which concerned how to update the glue for lots
of zones which are served from a single server when the address of
that server changes.

I thought the NSI system sucked badly, but the reported advantage of
being able to change the host record for the server host and having
all the zones that depended on that host being updated was illusory.
All it did was encourage glueless domains (unless the whole world
was a .com domain).

I reckon the registry people should support bulk address updates
for when server re-numbering happens, based on the address and not
the name. Maybe one day...

Chris