RE: [DNS] FW: Aust state domain name plan approved

From: Phil Wright <newsstuff§network.au.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:09:18 +1100
On face value it would appear that there is still a lot to work out....?

How about this suggestion:

In this example - town or place name = geo and state abbreviation =
state

geo.state.au - controlled by local committee based upon chamber of
commerce, council, shire, regional authority, etc   ie elected reps of
stakeholders hold the license in trust for the community.

Then in turn they provide an authority to local participants eg
associations, organizations, committees and other bodies for access to
the sub of the domain based upon uniform eligibility criteria ie a
certification or permission to register and use the sub domain

For example -  participant.geo.state.au

This could work well and still allow the geo committee to collect a
token fee from the participants to cover costs of running the
geo.state.au registry directory and hosting fees etc

This would still allow for competition among the registrars and at the
same time give everyone in the local community a fair go

It would then be possible for all these and more to exist:
tennisclub.geo.state.au
southhilltennisclub.geo.state.au
northhilltennisclub.geo.state.au
svdp.geo.state.au
salvos.geo.state.au
tourism.geo.state.au

etc etc and the geo.state.au domain could be the location of a directory
of all sub domains under it

I know that it would be simple for users to find local resources in the
local hubs that would form around the geo names.  This would be obvious
to outsiders looking for locals in the geo areas.

I do believe that a strictly uniform approach is required though

Just a suggestion that will probably get shot down in flames...  Lets
see...

Cheers

Phil Wright