RE: [DNS] Melbourne IT Unneccessarily Scaring Registrants

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:09:18 +1100
Hello All,

> BUT
>
> Yesterday Melbourne IT sent out an email to one of my customers with a
> subject
> "URGENT! {AUR#Cxx-Bxx-xxx} xxxxx.com.au expired 12-Dec-02T"
> My customer as you can imagine was a bit distressed and
> forwarded it on to
> me.

Yes - an error in manual processing was made.  The list used to generate the email has a column of domain names and a column of expiry dates.  After the list was generated, one of these columns was accidentally sorted alphabetically and the other wasn't, resulting in a mismatch of domains and expiry dates.  This will be fully automated in future, and hence not have the human error component.

All recipients of the email would have already received an earlier warning with the correct information.  This message was generated as part of a set of escalation emails if a registrant has failed to renew their domain.

We will send a corrective email to all those that received the wrong expiry dates.

We apologise for the confusion caused to registrants, and the inconvenience caused to domain name providers (whether registrar or reseller).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin