RE: [DNS] com.au Domain Names

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:36:14 +1100
It's possible to have 6 identical business names, one per State.  But it's
only possible to have one .com.au domain - one for Australia.  Inevitably 5
legitimate businesses will miss out, even though they are all equally
qualified.

The first one in, by default, disqualifies their competitors.

That's not a policy issue - that's competitive reality.  It would be
impractical and unrealistic to develop a policy that allows every business
to have a domain name just because they qualify.  For example, I (and you)
qualify to apply to register a business name Coca Cola - but sure as hell I
wouldn't get it!

Ron Stark