Re: [DNS] auDA media release

From: Kim Davies <kim§centr.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:05:31 +0200
Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> I would like you to CLEARLY explain what constitutes permission.
>
> Permission, from my perspective, will be an email to all of our
> customers we host for, telling them we are transferring their domain(s)
> that we manage for them from one registry to another... And if they
> disagree, to contact us before the nominated date (14 days).
>
> As we have been given the management role of those to look after them, I
> already consider us to have implicit permission, but I thought that they
> should be informed and given a 'opt out'.
>
> Does auDA see any problems with this?

As a "consumer", I have a problem with this. I would rather see you get
_explicit_ permission from your customer that you have the right to
change their registrar (I assume that is what you meant?). Otherwise,
your proposal sounds something very easily abused.

An email with a short opt-out time frame is ripe for abuse. Email is an
unguaranteed medium, you could be sending the emails to the wrong
address etc. It should be opt-in, not opt-out.

In these areas I definately think it is important to side with the
consumer awareness rather than open loopholes.

kim
(speaking for myself as usual)