Domains and Trademarks

From: Ian Halson <auda§lemonstone.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:36:12 +1000
On the subject of trademarks,

I was browsing the Atmoss database, as one does from time to time ;-),
and noticed a growing trend towards the registration of domain names as
trademarks. A percentage of which were "generic" or "desirable"
domains. While the majority were registered by the current registrant
of the domain name, some apparently were not.

My question is, does the registration of the domain as a trade mark
give (in the eyes of the governing body) the trade mark holder the rite
to the domain name above others. Even if the trademark application was
made after the domain was registered by a different party? I think I
understand the theory of different classes, but obviously if you
trademark a business name as a com.au you would expect your domain name
to be the same.

Thanks

Ian