Re: [DNS] Corrections to whois data

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:40:40 +0200
Quoting Deus Ex Machina on Tuesday September 09, 2003:

| > > James, the details are not incorrect, rather they are incomplete. Many of
| > > the "older" registrations are incomplete. There is no requirement on us to
| > > update these details. The registrations are "grandfathered" under the
| > > current policies.
| >
| > Do all registrars follow this approach and if so I wonder what ASIC thinks
| > of this approach.
|
| ASIC doesnt control and has nothing to do with the whois.

Correct. As is Melbourne IT.

For example, when I registered my domain there was absolutely no
eligibility requirements at all for a .com.au - you just asked
for whatever name you liked and you got it. Such names have been
grandfathered and have no need to have an ACN or anything else.

In fact, there were quite a few domains that existed in the zones that
weren't even records in the WHOIS database, although I believe these
were all sorted out during transition.

kim