AusRegistry ... congratulation, but 50,000 free registrations ... hmm!

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:48:34 +1000
I congratulate auDA and the .au domain name services industry for the
achievements in the first year of operation of the new .au scheme, as reported
by Chris Disspain the auDA media release below.

In particular, AusRegistry should be congratulated on its commercial
achievements, including the MYOB business award for 2003.

According to an article of 3 July 2003 by Kate Mackenzie
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6693906%5e16123%5e%5enbv%5e,00.
html>, AusRegistry earned about $9 million in the first 12 months of the
contract ... dramatically exceeding its prediction of $6.5 million.

Furthermore, the article reports that AusRegistry ... would ramp up its
promotion of .id.au names with celebrity endorsements and by giving away 50,000
free registrations in the next year.

Having read Kate's article of 3 July 2003, a number of questions come to mind:

(a) what was the ROI for AusRegistry?

(b) has AusRegistry - a monopoly seller of domain name registry services in
.au - made 'above normal' profits?

(c) are registrars, resellers and registrants paying too much for services along
the .au domain name services supply chain?

(d) what are the implications (costs, risks and benefits) of AusRegistry "giving
away 50,000 free registrations ... in .id.au"?

(e) why should .com.au and .net.au registrants subsidise .id.au and .org.au
registrants?

(f) how effective and well managed are the price controls arrangements in the
registry licence agreement?

(g) would price cap regulation of registry services (CPI-X) recommended by the
Competition Model Advisory Panel* have produced a better outcome for .au domain
name services industry and consumers?

(* As a member of the Panel, I had a hand in writing the recommendation.  In
hindsight, the recommendation was neither well formed, nor well explained in the
Panel's final report <www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-competition-final.html>.)

These are the kind of questions which might be best answered in a
review/evaluation of the auDA scheme, including its policies.

Ian Johnston