(unknown charset) Re: [DNS] FW: johnthomson.id.au has been registered for you.

From: (unknown charset) Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:09:14 +0200
Quoting Deus Ex Machina on Monday September 15, 2003:

| > John, when you rejected the domain name, it was automatically deleted
| > from the registry, making it available for others to register, hence
| > the blank WHOIS response.
|
| er hang on its clearly against the code of conduct to bulk pre-register names!?!?!?
| FOUL - referee where are you?

The code of conduct (which requires mandatory adherence by registrars)
reads:

    4.3 Domain Name Suppliers must not register or renew domain names (in
    advance of a request from an eligible registrant) that are for the
    purpose of restricting a competitor from registering the domain name
    on behalf of the registrant, or for the purpose of later offering this
    domain name to potential licensees.

    Examples of unacceptable conduct:

    (1) Anticipating a consumer's preference for a domain name (via
    examining consumer activity on a website, or by reference to other
    databases such as company name databases), registering that domain
    name using the consumer’s details, and then offering the domain
    name to the consumer for a fee or in conjunction with a bundled
    offering. This practice restricts the consumer's choice of Domain
    Name Supplier, and may lock the consumer into service conditions
    (such as the need to host a website with the Domain Name Supplier).
    This example is sometimes called front-running.

Before I say something that is potentially wrong, I will give Nick the
opportunity to inform us how this is not what Bottle is doing.

kim