New 2LDs and Associations (was [DNS] Nomination for auDA board.)

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:44:38 +1000
I don't share Ron Stark's generalised views about new 2LDs (see below).

Let me explain why.

Associations (industry/trade/commerce/employer) were interested in establishing
new 2LDs, e.g. retail.au and pharmacy.au.  Many have thousands of small business
members, including third generation members.  Members have belonged to their
associations for decades.  Collectively, members of individual associations
turnover $billions and employ thousands.

Associations have well established networks within and across industries.  They
have long established channels of communication to help members with their
businesses, providing them with valued, regular information services covering,
for example, taxation, industrial relations, superannuation, occupational health
and safety, insurance, government regulation, supply chain management
development, telecommunications, e-commerce, and business, consumer and
environmental protection, e.g. auDA consumer alerts on domain name scams.

Associations run businesses that deliver a diverse range of services on a
national basis to their thousands of members, e.g. superannuation funds,
industry-wide auctions, and vocational education and training.

Associations are trusted organisations (trusted by their members and consumers),
with massive resources under their management and long established national and
international reputations.

Associations have, over many years, successfully used their networks and
resources to manage and market many goods and services to their members.  They
has established business relationships with their members.  They have created
demand.

Associations are potentially well placed to market industry-based 2LDs to their
thousands of members.  They are capable of creating trusted 2LDs in .au.  They
can create demand for .au domain names.

auDA and the "domain name industry" (if they choose) can engage associations to
further their respective objectives.

The "domain name industry" is well placed to use the existing networks of
industry associations to promote greater awareness and uptake of .au domain
names.  There are few, if any, organisations in Australia that could do this as
cost effectively as associations.  See
<www.setel.com.au/smeforum2002/fp/FP09.htm>.

Ian Johnston