RE: [DNS] New 2LDs and Associations (was [DNS] Nomination for auDA board.)

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:09:21 +1000
Ian, it's true that Associations have tremendous leverage and
credibility, and could well promote the adoption of the likes of
.com.au. However, in the context of this discussion you are inferring
that each association should have its own 2LD which would be adopted by
its members, thereby creating a new market.

If so, your assumptions have seductive simplicity, but are invalid for
several reasons:

- Member businesses are frequently members of multiple associations.
The sort of business that is prone to be a member of one organisation
frequently joins up with others.  To which should they give their
priority?  More importantly, which others should they exclude by
adopting the 2LD of one?

- Members who are Internet-aware already have a domain name, thus their
membership would have no impact on them adopting additional 2LDs

- Businesses become members for identified business reasons, and their
adoption of membership services that cost money is also driven by direct
business benefits.  2LDs per se do not provide direct benefits, thus
fall into that category.

- There have been many attempts to create web-centric business networks,
services, associations, directories and portals - call them what you
will - the vast majority of which have utterly failed.  Why should
merely offering 2LDs be the solution where all else has failed?

- Those Associations that already promote the adoption of domain names
and a website still report insignificant take-up, even where free
domains (read sub-domains) are provided.  Why should new 2LDs overcome
that demonstrable apathy?

I've had (and continue to have) some experience with Associations and my
position is unchanged.  Put simply, give businesses a valid reason to
have a domain name, and they'll do it.  The existence of a new 2LD
certainly isn't that reason, and that holds true with or without the
participation of Associations.

To repeat my oft-used analogy - A domain name is like a car number
plate.  Persuade consumers to buy a car, and the numberplate market
automatically follows.

Ron Stark