Re: [DNS] New 2LDs and Associations (was [DNS] Nomination for auDA board.)

From: Peter Shilling <peter§tppinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:31:53 +1000
On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:09:21PM +1000, Ron Stark wrote:
<snip>

> I've had (and continue to have) some experience with Associations and my
> position is unchanged.  Put simply, give businesses a valid reason to
> have a domain name, and they'll do it.  The existence of a new 2LD
> certainly isn't that reason, and that holds true with or without the
> participation of Associations.
>
> To repeat my oft-used analogy - A domain name is like a car number
> plate.  Persuade consumers to buy a car, and the numberplate market
> automatically follows.
>
> Ron Stark

Ron,

Your analogy is one that I also subscribe to, the unfortunate reality
though ( and we have seen this with recent activities by DNA etc..) is
that consumers to tend to buy the number plate without the car to stick
it on. Of course when it comes time to renew the domain name probably
not many of these names will be renewed as they are not being used.

Your analogy is the basis of a _sustainable_ domain industry as
registrants who use them will keep them and perhaps get others.

While there has been much debate on this list about the activities of
AusRegistry and the mywebname.com.au marketing efforts, what they are
trying to achieve is to market the use of the domain name (email
addresses etc...) which if you like they way they are doing it or not is
at least in the right direction.

Since this current debate in in the context of auDA etc.. What do you
(or others) think that auDA should be doing to assist in making your
analogy a reality?

Peter Shilling