RE: [DNS] New 2LDs and Associations (was [DNS] Nomination for auDA board.)

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:16:44 +1000
Peter

The Internet (whatever that happens to mean to businesses) has been
stigmatised by it having been sold as a technology that was the wave of
the future.  Many were caught up in the feeding frenzy of simply getting
in on the act, because they felt that they had to.  Their expectations
were too high, they were sold unrealisable dreams, and were misled to
believe that being on the internet, in and of itself, would somehow
bring wondrous new business to fruition.

I remember that in one of the NOIE surveys, respondents were afraid of
having a website because they couldn't handle the huge volume of new
business they were led to believe would eventuate!

With the passage of time, cold hard reality has set in.  The Internet
"technology", in and of itself, has no intrinsic worth.  It's of no
value to businesses unless it actually adds some value to that business.
Many's the story I've heard from clients that say "I signed up with City
Search and it did nothing.  I tell my mates to forget having a website -
it's a complete waste of time and money"

Which brings me to answering your question - and my analogy.

The reality is that we have a stigmatised industry, and we need to send
out a new message which promotes the benefits, not the product.
Unfortunately to some extent we're still promoting the same message that
led to the stigma in the first place.

Put simply, I believe that the entire industry, auDA included, should
adopt a strategy of promoting the notion that websites and email (the
"car"), both of which need a domain name (the "number plate", are
invaluable business tools and have enormous benefits when used
appropriately.

You can argue the semantics of how this is done and what the benefits
are, but the underlying message must be consistent.

At the risk of provoking a reaction from Ian and others, we as an
industry also need to stop promoting the myth that businesses need
e-commerce (popularly taken to mean on-line shopping).  The vast
majority of businesses have no need whatever for it - instead they rely
on human contact with their clients for business to take place.  But
that's another story for another time and place.

Ron Stark