The reality is that we have a stigmatised industry ... a way ahead

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§setel.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:11:01 +1000
> The reality is that we have a stigmatised industry, ...

Very good point, Ron.

The continuing need for auDA to issue "consumer alerts" of one form or another
since early 2001 - in the interests of consumer protection ..., and for the
media and the association network to communicate these alerts - has been
necessary, but has stigmatised the industry for both .au and gTLD domain names.
(The stigma also applies along the e-business supply chain of which the domain
name suppliers industry is the first link.)

auDA and, hopefully, ACCC are doing a lot to address industry conduct and, in so
doing, lessen the impact on consumers of domain name services.  The stigma is
something the industry also needs to address in the longer-term, possibly in
collaboration with industry and consumer associations - see my comments below.

> Put simply, I believe that the entire industry,
> auDA included, should adopt a strategy of
> promoting the notion that websites and email
> (the "car"), both of which need a domain name
> (the "number plate", are invaluable business tools
> and have enormous benefits when used appropriately.

I also agree.

In this regard, I understand that NOIE has committed most of the $3.25 million
the Federal Government allocated to raising the awareness and encouraging the
uptake of e-business by small business.

A key outcome of this program is www.e-businessguide.com.au.  This website
contains information and resources about e-business for small businesses in
Australia and for those who advise them.  It contains practical advice about
using the Internet as a business tool. There's a hard-copy, cut-done version of
the e-businessguide.

e-businessguide includes some references to domain names:

- Understanding - Getting started - getting email and a domain name
  www.e-businessguide.com.au/site/text_only.cfm?nav_id=801

- Building - Technical issues - Getting a website name
  www.e-businessguide.com.au/site/text_only.cfm?area_id=16&nav_id=632

- Managing - Promoting your website - Advertising your website
  www.e-businessguide.com.au/site/text_only.cfm?area_id=16&nav_id=644

(BTW, NOIE welcomes feedback and any suggestions for improving the
e-businessguide: email: mailto:e-businessguide&#167;noie.gov.au or phone: (02) 6271
1666.  I see plenty of scope to improve the text in the guide as it relates to
domain names, but that's not my business.  I'd urge some leaders within the
industry to work with NOIE to improve it, and not just leave it to auDA.
Indeed, given the collective wisdom of the DNS list, this forum might begin to
do this.)

> At the risk of provoking a reaction from Ian and others,
> we as an industry also need to stop promoting the
> myth that businesses need e-commerce (popularly
> taken to mean on-line shopping). ...

I agree again, Ron.

Clearly many businesses don't need e-commerce / e-business, but there are many
out there that may benefit.

NOIE's e-businessguide program is about raising awareness of the opportunity,
and stepping people through the cycle - understanding > planning > building >
protecting > managing > improving - to help them decide what e-business might do
for them.

There's scope for the domain name suppliers industry (still better, an industry
association) to:

- advance their interests in the context of e-business / e-commerce (possibly,
beyond the role of auDA)

- help remove the industry's stigma

- work with NOIE to add value to the e-businessguide, as it relates to the
domain name supplier industry

- explore opportunities to work with the association network*

- seek Federal Government and/or auDA funding to pursue industry strategies**

I'm sure you and many others on the DNS list could add to these four points.

Ian Johnston

* Small Business Coalition (www.smallbusiness.org.au), SETEL (www.setel.com.au),
and the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (www.acci.asn.au) which
convenes the SBC and chair's SETEL.

** Possibly in collaboration with and by accessing the association network (see
the invitation at www.setel.com.au/smeforum2002/fp/FP09.htm).