Re: [DNS] NetSol and AU nameservers

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:50:10 +0100
Quoting Mark Constable on Monday December 01, 2003:

| Hmm, tried moving any domains AWAY from NetSol lately ?

Not personally no, but many gTLD registrars dont make it easy.

| Would you mind explaining, or providing an example, of a domain
| that does and does not require "glue" please ?

Well, glue is required when a normal tree traversal could not otherwise
resolve the domain. Apart from some corner cases, this is basically when
the nameserver resides under the zone they are authoritative for.

For example, if the NS for foo.com.au is ns1.foo.com.au, the IP address
of ns1.foo.com.au can't be determined without looking up foo.com.au, and
is thus unresolvable. This is fixed by putting "glue" - an A record in
the com.au zone that stops resolves trying to descend down into
foo.com.au.

If the nameservers sat in another zone outside of foo.com.au it would
not be a problem. If you haed all your hundreds of zones being handled
by ns1.bar.com.au, then you would just renumber ns1.bar.com.au and would
not need to touch anything else.

| Our NS records at InterNic/NetSol/whatever did require a specific
| IP allocated to them but, for instance, godaddy.com does not.

They don't. In non-glue scenarios, the IP addresses that NetSol requires
is just thrown away. I never ends up in the com/net zones. That is why
it is so puzzling that it is mandatory and the whole set of host hurdles
within their system still exist.

| Could you advice if your last sentence could apply to my case ?

If someone gets a reassigned IP address that used to belong to your
pool, and tried to use it with NetSol's registrar system, they wouldnt
be allowed to without going through a (tedious) reassignment process with
you.

| If so, is there a URL I could go to read up on this procedure ?

I am not sure.

| this does not solve the issue of future dud reasignment of our old
| IPs, nor explains what happened or just why I can't modify or delete
| the current records from NetSol (as in networksolutions.com, regardless
| who owns it now).

For me, some things that appeared impossible from their website were fixed by
calling their phone support line. If it frustrates you enough that might
be your last resort.

kim