Re: [DNS] DNS list

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:23:19 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Mark Suter wrote:
 > On 2004-03-02, Brad Norrish wrote:
 >
 > > The point being made is those who do should be very careful and wary of
 > > distributing posts that could result in legal action.
 > >
 > > I personally would be terrified sick if I was responcible for some of the
 > > posts that have made it to this list.
 >
 >     The "DNS List" is an Internet mailing list that facilitates general
 >     discussion on .au related issues. It is an unmoderated forum, and robust
 >     debate is encouraged. A light-touch administration policy is enforced.
 >     -- http://www.auda.org.au/contact/
 >
 >     Assume that individuals speak for themselves, and what they say does not
 >     represent their organization (unless stated explicitly).
 >     -- "Netiquette Guidelines" http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855
 >
 >     Do not blame the system administrator for the behavior of the system users.
 >     -- ibid
 >
 > It would seem to me the who wrote the email and posted it to the list would be
 > responsible.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, so I would not be surprised if the
 > law didn't match what I think is reasonable.

IANAL either, but my understanding is that if Kim (for example) were to
preemptively moderate this list, ie to only release for posting messages
which he had personally approved, then very likely he WOULD assume the
responsibility for publication of those messages.  Let's not go there ..

Cheers, Ian