Re: [DNS] Brad Norrish's auDA

From: Jason Trickey <jason§mydomain.com.au>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:51:56 +1100
The following scenario is entirely fictional and is in no way based on real
people or events. Any resemblance to your own grandmother, any Darbs' you
may know, boats you may own, products you may sell or otherwise is entirely
unintentional, or an act of your own conscience if that hasn't already been
sold. If you don't get it, I don't care. You probably don't need to know.

         ---

The story unfolds...

There's this chap, Darby, though I call him Darb for short, who's been
visiting my 80 year old grandmother, a nice genuine lady and a damn fine
creator of homemade shepherds pie.

I myself remember Darb from my younger days. A spotty, snotty little kid,
Darb was always following the school yard bullies around (especially this
big mean Indian bastard called Ahsas - scary as hell!) and asking for their
assistance and advice. Together though working apart, Darb and Ahsas had
some kind of school yard racket collecting keys and opening doors. I don't
know why. The cops busted some of them I guess in the end anyway.

Darb always wanted to be just like Ahsas and his crew I thought. Us bigger
guys used to laugh at Darb back in the days when we all attended
Melbourne's shIT school of hard knocks. Darb was in pre-school back then.
Ahsas was in primary. Ahsas died young, though his memory still remains.

Getting back to Gran, she's getting on now and time has not been kind.
She's frail in both body and mind in her old age, bless her heart. She's
easily taken advantage of if that is your goal, but who could do anything
like that to Gran. I'd never dream if such a thing.

Darb, being the caring soul that he is, often calls in to visit Gran, even
more than myself, walking straight past her letter box and directly to her
front door, knocking for as long as it takes for her to answer, pity her
poor legs.

Darb's a grown up now and selling services you see, and Gran is so
overjoyed at meeting him; the management of her finances, the payment of
her bills, hell, he's even provided her one of those internet domain name
id.au freebie thingamabobs, and dare I say it, a first aid kit, and now
she's never short of band-aids for when my own son scrapes his knee
(again!?!) thank god!

Last time I called in to visit Gran, Darb was sitting at her computer
("You've got a computer now Gran? Yes dear, Darb sold me a brand new model
for only half of my savings!") and paying her utility bills, saving Grans
legs from that trip to the post office for another day, and keeping the
terribly confusing utility bill payment system away from my grandmothers
frail mind.

Darb walks Grans' dog, mows her lawn, cleans her oven, hangs out her
washing, you name it, Super Darb as I now call him does it, and all for the
small service fee of $237 per service rendered. What a guy!

Darb's even taken on the responsibility of taking over Grans' bank account
so she doesn't have to deal with the confusing banking system either. Gran
is overly pleased and somewhat disappointed in myself for not being more
like Darb.

I've decided, Darb is right, and I'm going to be just like Darb when I
really grow up. I'd like to get me one of those Sea Doo boats I've been
hearing advertised on this list and I'm going to take Gran for a ride myself.

Cheers,

-j