RE: [DNS] Brad Norrish's auDA

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§applications.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:41:53 +1100
> In reality regulation should be handled by a govt department.

> The only reason Auda's function is not controlled by the govt is legacy

As those of us who have been involved in the "who should regulate the .au
namespace" issue for many years know (but those with more recent involvement
may not be aware)....

The number one reason auDA's function is not controlled by the government is
that the government considered the issues, and decided that auDA's function
should NOT be controlled by the government.  This was a conscious decision
on behalf of the Australian Federal Government.

You don't have to take my word for this - or auDA's, or anyone else's word.
Ask the government about this, and they'll tell you.

As the Australian government for the last 8 years has philosophically been a
strong believer in "less government is good government", they pushed the
Australian community to take on the task of setting up a Regulatory
Authority for the .au namespace.

Some people may feel the government did the right thing to not take on the
job itself; others may feel the government made the wrong decision.

But its unlikely the existing government will reverse its decision.

My personal opinion is that even if at a subsequent election a party with
more faith in "government having a larger role" were to come to power, they
would be reluctant to alter the .au namespace status quo unless there was a
helluva clear case that there is a major problem with the existing system.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
+61 4 1374 3959
www.pplications.com.au
effectivebusiness&#167;applications.com.au