Change of Registrant

From: <inc§fastmedia.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:20:28 -1000 (GMT+10)
I have a couple of clients seeking to update the registrant/ABN
details.

I haven't had to change the registrant or ABN details on an .au
domain before, and was a bit surprised to learn that there is a
fee involved.

One registrar seems to charge A$149 for the process.  And another
registrar's site quotes A$220.

I can't find mention of a fee in the auDA Change of Registrant
policy:

  Transfers (Change of Registrant) Policy (2002-27)
  http://auda.org.au/policies/auda-2002-27/

One case is one partner buying out the other partner, and wanting
to update a personal registrant's details to the newly incorporated
company details, and the other sold their business to a new party
(who will continue to trade under the same name) and the domain has
no business registration number on it at all from way back when.

The first case fits within 3.1 a) (i) of the above policy, but even
without the buying out the other partner, details would want to be
updated to match the recently incorporated entity.  The second case
is simply updating otherwise missing information.

I don't understand why there is a fee to keep the domain name record
up to date.

And then, why so expensive?

--
Chris Langlands