Re: [DNS] Rafferty's Outcome

From: Chesley Rafferty <chesleyau§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:22:17 +1000 (EST)
Bennett

Whilst I agree with most of your observations,
especially those regarding our continued ability to
mail out after certain adjustments have been made,
there is another factor on which I must comment.

After seeking senior counsel advice, myself and DNA
believe that there are grounds for appeal. As such the
appeal process has begun.

A media release will be issued shortly.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

--ends--

Bennett

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/federal_ct/2004/424.html)
> [...]
> breach an injunction, then that is contempt of
> Court.  The consequence
> of which can include imprisonment.
>
> The current proceedings is not similar to what
> happened two years ago.
> Two years ago, the proceedings were settled out of
> Court, and no
> injunctions were ordered by the Court.  There was no
> order to pay costs
> from that proceeding.
>

> Craig Ng
> Partner
> Maddocks
> Tel: +61 3 9288 0523

> Ron,
>
> appart from the bad publicity that DNS etc have
> received, what
> 'outcome' are
> you actually happy about?
>
> As far as I can see the courts rejected the majority
> of claims by auDA
> and
> ACCC, and the action to be taken as a result of the
> claim it did uphold
> will
> have very little effect.
>
> The court has simply said that DNA is not allowed to
> breach Section 52
> for 3
> years. Well derr... they were not allowed to do so
> in the first place.
> The
> court has not even deemed the breach to be bad
> enough to force DNA to
> send
> explanatory notices to their clients as yet.
>
> The outcome is very similar to what happened 2 years
> ago, the courts
> simply
> told the parties to stop being bad, and made them
> pay court costs. It
> took
> less than 6 months for these people to move state
> and start up again
> doing
> the same thing. We've now had to go through another
> long court case,
> and we
> are no further along the road then we were 2 years
> ago, meanwhile DNA
> is
> still making considerable profits from these
> actions...
>
> As far as I can see, the only significant damage
> done to DNA has been
> done
> by the NZ and UK regulators.
>
> I'm not saying auDA should not be going after DNA,
> just the bad
> publicity is
> probably worth it, but the simple fact is that based
> on the courts
> judgements, I'm quite sure that with a few
> modifications to the text of
> the
> letters and a change of name, DNA will be able to
> continue operating
> and
> doing similar things, and nobody will be able to
> stop them.
>
> Maybe in about 10 years enough people will have been

=== message truncated ===

http://au.movies.yahoo.com