Re: [DNS] Rationale of .au high price was: [DNS] Cat got your tongue Chris?

From: Jason Pay <jasonpay§au1.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:21:56 +1000
There is no justification for the high prices of .au names,

AusRegistry and auDA are ripping off .au domain name customers!

The costs of entry into the market for AusRegistry should not be passed
onto the customer. this being the case, then AuDA failed the internet
community in not ensuring that they got the best deal. If the tendering
process did not get the best result, then other options should have been
explored.

auDA are not passing cost savings onto the customer quickly enough.

How much money does auDA have to have in the bank before they say they
have enough in reserves? When can they start passing on their savings to
the customers. Are there people queueing up to sue auDA?, Why do they need
so much money in the bank?

We should all expect that shortly after the next tender that prices should
dramatically drop as we will not have to pay for some businesses cost of
entry into the market which AusRegistry is now reaping.

Regards,
Jason Pay

Anand Kumria <wildfire&#167;progsoc.uts.edu.au>
18/05/2004 11:57 AM
Please respond to
dns

dns&#167;dotau.org
cc

Subject

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:42:08PM +1000, Ron Stark wrote:
> Let's paraphrase the argument that's being put forward.   Anand is
> suggesting that somehow the .au price is a significant factor in
companies
> getting onto the Internet.

Eseentially. I was mainly trying to point out that the pricing situation
isn't a result of 'economies of scale'. I don't know why .au is so
expensive but my current theory is this is due to some people believing
a .au domain is price inelastic (i.e. a must-have).

> The price difference between a .com and a .au is all of $0.50 per week.
In
> the context of a $100 000 expenditure on a website for a company turning
> over $10M per year, the domain name price is sure a determining factor!

You seem to be assuming that the only people who buy gTLDs rather than
.au TLDs are large companies. Those were just the obvious examples I
could point out.

However if you are a small business who doesn't have much to spend on
your website it does become an issue. Let's say, you have $5000/pa to
spend on one.

As a few other people have pointed out, what seems to happen is that
the design/technical brief goes off to some third party and they assist
the client in deciding which domain to register.

Since the third party registers the domain first, I think perhaps they
are reducing any potential downside by registering a cheaper non-au
domain. If my choices were spending $10 to demo. a site to client and a
day of my time versus $100 to demo. a site and a day of my time; I know
which I'd choose to do.

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `` All actions take place in time by the interweaving of the
 forces of Nature; but the man lost in selfish delusion thinks