Re: [DNS] Rationale of .au high price was: [DNS] Cat got your tongue Chris?

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:32:49 +0800
Quoting Jason Pay on Tuesday May 18, 2004:
| Not costs of running/operating, cost of entry into the market - setup
| costs.

Sorry, that is what I meant. My point stands - how can you expect any
company to do anything if they can't expect to recoup their costs? How
exactly is AusRegistry supposed to pay their bills if they can't do so
through making money? You expect registries to run at a loss?

I just don't understand. Do you propose only companies that prove they
do not fund capital expenditure and other startup costs through their
income be allowed to run the registry? How would that work? Why would
you want that?

Everything else being equal, companies that already have built systems
and presumably have much of their start-up costs out of the way are
already advantaged because they can simply undercut bids from companies
that are starting from scratch. Isn't this incentive enough? Why do you
want to punish start-ups?

I don't know of any single service that is provided where the company
offering a service is not allowed to factor into their business plan
having their start-up costs recouped. Almost by definition, you are
proposing only bankrupt businesses are allowed to bid, or beneficiaries
of some kind of grant.

kim