Re: [DNS] markus.org.au

From: Chris Maltby <chris§sw.oz.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:10:53 +1000
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 02:27:36PM +1000, magic2147&#167;optushome.com.au wrote:
> The above domain has been recently registered through MIT by LIBERAL PARTY OF
> AUSTRALIA NSW DIVISION INCORPORATED
>
> auDA rules state that the domain name must exactly match the name of
> the registrant's charity or non-profit organisation; > be an acronym
> or abbreviation of the name of the registrant's charity or nonprofit
> organisation; or be otherwise closely and substantially connected to
> the registrant, because the domain name refers to:
> - a service that the registrant provides; or
> - a program that the registrant administers; or
> - an event that the registrant organises or sponsors; or
> - an activity that the registrant facilitates, teaches or trains; or
> - a venue that the registrant operates; or
> - a profession that the registrant's members practise.
>
> The Liberals have endorsed Louise Markus as a candidate for Greenway
> but it is hard to see how they were able to register the name since
> it does not fit the criteria.

The argument is that the political services provided by members of
parliament and candidates on behalf of their party is "a service that
the registrant provides", which is provided under the name of the
MP or candidate. It seems like an open and shut case to me. Whether
the Liberal Party qualifies as a non-profit organisation is another
question entirely.

I argued this with auDA on behalf of another political party and
eventually got them to agree to this interpretation and issue a
policy clarifying statement to registrars.

Chris