Re: [DNS] markus.org.au

From: Robert Gregory <Robert.Gregory§maddocks.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:17:05 +1000
auDA is reviewing the Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Rules for
the open 2LD's.

Sumbissions close on 30 August 2004.

See http://www.auda.org.au/news.php?newsid=17

>>> chris&#167;sw.oz.au 17/08/04 17:10:31 >>>
> On 17 Aug 2004 at 15:10, Chris Maltby wrote:
>> The argument is that the political services provided by members of
>> parliament and candidates on behalf of their party is "a service
that the
>> registrant provides", which is provided under the name of the MP or
>> candidate. It seems like an open and shut case to me. Whether the
Liberal
>> Party qualifies as a non-profit organisation is another question
entirely.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 04:07:17PM +1000, magic2147&#167;optushome.com.au
wrote:
> Strictly speaking a member of a parliament is NOT a representative
> of a political party but of the electors of a particular electoral
> division (or state in the case of a senator) so the argument you
> put forward was somewhat specious.

Yes, but practically speaking, and without wanting to debate
the constitutional issues, the MP (and especially a candidate) is
clearly an agent and representative of the party that endorses her,
which satisfies the requirement in the auDA policy. The fact that
an elected MP has other responsibilities is moot - an exclusive
relationship is not a pre-requisite for registering a domain.

In any case, if you accept that political representation is a
non-profit activity (the payment of the MP is not "profit"), all
we are discussing is which entities are allowed to claim a
relationship sufficient to satisfy the .org.au policy.

>> I argued this with auDA on behalf of another political party and
>> eventually got them to agree to this interpretation and issue a
>> policy clarifying statement to registrars.

> Perhaps this suggests that we actually need a
> nameofcandidate.nameofdivision.state.pol.au domain space.

gurk. But see www.parliament.wa.gov.au in the members section.
They have an mp.wa.gov.au domain and {name}&#167;mp.wa.gov.au email
addresses, but not {name}.mp.wa.gov.au domains (yet).

> In any event why hasn't auDA spelt out the interpretation in the
> policy instead of keeping it a secret.

Ask them. For me, the policy is unambiguous and needs no
clarification.  That's not to say that the policy and its
application can't be improved.

Chris

Please do not retransmit articles on this list without permission of
the
author, further information at the above URL.

Maddocks
Melbourne - Tel: (61 3) 9288 0555  Fax: (61 3) 9288 0666
Sydney - Tel: (61 2) 8223 4100  Fax: (61 2) 9221 0872
Web: http://www.maddocks.com.au
The information in this electronic mail is privileged
and confidential, intended only for use of the individual
or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any dissemination, copying or use of the information is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission
in error please delete it immediately from your system
and inform us by email on info&#167;maddocks.com.au.