Reverse Nameserver IP woes

From: Sean Finn <sean.finn§ozservers.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:07:32 +1000
Hi All.

http://www.internic.net/whois.html allows you to plug in a domain name, and
see if its registered as a nameserver in the big nameserver database in the
sky.

E.g. Selecting Nameserver and typing in 202.125.32.4 (Which is the IP
address of ns1.net.au) Brings up some other domain names, not ns1.net.au,
which have been glued as nameservers to our nameserver IP.

E.g. someone else who has access to ns1.net.au and ns2.net.au to use the dns
capabilities of these servers, has registered these as their own
nameservers, knocking us out of the placing on the internic whois. The user
is a legitimate user that we allow access to use ns1 and ns2's services.

My question is, if someone else assignes their name, and glues their name to
our IP, does that break the glue between ns1.net.au and ns2.net.au and
therefore make it hard for people to delegate domain names to ns1.net.au and
ns2.net.au ?

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=202.125.32.4&type=nameserver
(Should be ns1.net.au)

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=202.125.32.5&type=nameserver
(Should be ns2.net.au)

If it DOES break it, then how the heck can it be stopped?

Cheers,
Sean Finn.
---