Re: [DNS] Marketing 101

From: Jonathan Ah Kit <ahkitj§jnawk.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:43:46 +1300
Kim Davies wrote:

>Quoting Malcolm Miles on Tuesday November 23, 2004:
>| On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:42:46 +0800, you wrote:
>|
>| >http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11470070%255E2702,00.html
>|
>| "Efforts by Telstra BigPond technicians to block access to the porn
>| site failed."
>|
>| How did they think they were going to do that? Perhaps they could
>| filter it from BigPond users but not everybody is a BigPond user.
>Well, they are publishing fake records for the gay porn site to their
>customers, thusly:
>
>This of couse raises interesting ethical questions about an ISPs right
>to peform man-in-the-middle spoofing on your Internet traffic.
>
>Roll on DNSSEC I say, and this will be a thing of the past.

Kia ora Kim,

Surely there are easier ways of doing this filtering instead of spoofing
the DNS, such as (are they common in .au? I can't recall offhand)
transparent proxying. It'd filter it out less users, surely, but doesn't
involve spoofing DNS.

Though does raise, of course ethical issues too. Though I can't imagine
too many users wanting at the moment to visit a pr0n star's site over an
Idol winner. Dunno.

Ka kite,
Jonathan Ah Kit.

--
Jonathan Ah Kit - Lower Hutt - New Zealand
jonathan&#167;ah-kit.dropbear.id.au - http://www.ah-kit.dropbear.id.au/