Re: [DNS] Marketing 101

From: <magic2147§optushome.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:37:00 +1100
On 24 Nov 2004 at 10:43, Paul Foxworthy wrote:

> If anyone in Australia happens to run an ad that mistakenly has a .com
> instead of a .com.au, will BigPond commit to changing their DNS to "fix"
> the problem? If not, what's so special about this case?
>
> If anyone finds two sites blah.com.au and blah.com, where the .com site
> has content that not everyone might like, will BigPond commit to changing
> their DNS to "fix" the problem? If not, what's so special about this case?
>
> Can I get Bigpond to redirect visitors looking for blah.com to my own
> blah.com.au by *claiming* that blah.com has objectionable content?
>
> Given BigPond's obvious concern about the issue, are they encouraging
> other ISPs to take similar action?

I am sure that Stephen Mayne from Crikey would be delighted to get such service. Sloppy,
lazy media types (I know that it's  tautological) are always rendering the site as "crikey.com"
rather than crikey.com.au. People who visit "crikey.com" are  confronted by a "this domain is
for sale" site playing off the online news service and Steve whatsisname.

I am sure that even as I wirite Ziggy and the good folks at Sensis are looking at ways to
deliver more traffic to .com.au sites that share the same "prefix" as .com domains - and
charge for the privilege. In fact thinking about it you should be able to demand that requests
for any gTLD site be directed to a .au domain. auDA could  be commissioned to auction the
repointing rights off. I am sure that this would be seen as family friendly and would be
endorsed by both Family First and the Federal Government.  And the great unwashed would
never need to know that the internet is indeed world wide.

cb