RE: [DNS] List rules

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:03:34 +1100
Trent,

Moderating a list is a thankless task - definitely.

I'm not so sure that "no news is good news" in this list's case. I think its
probably fairer to say no news is an indication that the real issues are not
being raised in this forum, and that is a pity. Why are the issues not being
discussed here? Because the list lacks credibility as a place where useful
debate happens, and that’s an historical fact.

This list has been over used for outbursts (as we have seen yesterday),
vitriolic personal attacks, loony conspiracy theorists, hatchet jobs and the
like. You only have to go back and see Chris Disspain's written comments on
his attitude to posting to this list to see a reflection of that reality.
His frustration with the manner and tone of postings is shared by many of
the professionals in this industry who as a result lurk but steer clear of
posting.

If all of us subscribed want to get something more that the odd bit of news
out of the list, then as a community we need to have some sort of acceptable
use standards - formal or otherwise. And I take your point that the recent
episode did resolve in a 'natural order' way. Its just a little inefficient
sometimes.

Larry